For those who follow me on Instagram, you might know that I developed a hernia and my stoma prolapsed before Christmas. It’s been a circle of doctors, trying to decide what to do with it all.
Initially, it was thought I’d have a repair. Then, my colorectal surgeon thought it might be better to relocate the whole stoma to the other side. I was then offered an opinion from a Professor, and tonight I finally had that consultation with him (over the phone). He had all my notes and scans, so he was familiar with my medical history.
At the end of the call, it was decided that it would be a repair, not a relocation.
His reasons were that considering the history of my Crohn’s and a recent colonoscopy, chances are my Crohn’s will flare up again somewhere, and I’ll potentially need an ileostomy. That means no bowel at all, and my stoma would need to be moved to the right side of my abdomen. He said while that could happen in 10 years or even 20, he wanted to protect that side at all costs. It made sense, and I agreed.
He explained the repair procedure (Sugarbaker surgery) and how he will manage the hernia bulge. It hasn’t been decided if I can have the surgery in Wagga or if it would be best to go to Sydney. Personally, I would prefer Sydney. I should know more in the next couple of weeks.
At least this surgery won’t be as bad as a complete relocation. I was worried about the downtime for that one. The repair is keyhole, with an incision for the hernia, but I can handle that thought.
I’ll keep you posted!
This is the size of the hernia under my clothes. I’m so over it!